Friday, 1 March 2013

Interesting thoughts

I published a novel by accident.  I had it on a site and someone asked to buy the rights. I was hugely flattered and I did consider it very seriously but decided that I would have a go at publishing myself.  So last May I had a go at Kindle - which is free and extremely easy to use.

Then I heard about Smashwords.  As a former legal secretary the formatting held less terrors for me than many, though I did use quite a few rude words.  That is how I got a free ISBN.  I think I may have sold a few books through places like sony ebooks as Smashwords distribute there, but I'm not sure.  I will find out in the fullness of time but I am concentrating on the sequel to the Forgotten Village.  It would be nice, but I'll worry later.  I also managed to pull together some cat stories, so there is also Cats in the Bible cluttering up virtual shelves.

So there I am with two titles available in online stores that are all respectable and proper and it is looking possible that I may actually be an author, all more or less by accident.  I am coming to terms with this, and that I could treat being an author as a serious business.

Now I find out that there is a possibility of me having a website for free.  As in, it would be all branded and quite stripped down, but it would be a website and I wouldn't have to pay for it.  I've had a look on Moonfruit.com and all sorts of things are possible.  It all looks easy, and straightforward and professional and I could put up free to read short stories, there is even a possibility of merchandise, though what I could put there is anyone's guess.  If I got very slick and earned enough I could upgrade to some of the paid for versions that look very nice indeed.

I am having a dither because having a website is what professional authors have.  But I am technically a professional author and I have even registered as self employed.  And it would take a lot of keeping up.  But what else am I doing?  Well, writing the sequel to the Forgotten Village...

I will be putting the website up in the next few months.  As for the sequel to The Forgotten Village, it's called 'Digging up the Past' and it is what happens when a televised archaeological dig comes to a Village where werewolves and vampires have been living openly for centuries.  After all, what could go wrong?

2 comments:

  1. No one can "technically" be an author. Like the lamps in a dark room, they're either lit or not. In this case, you've written a book. That makes you an author.

    Have you taken the time to polish your work, ensure that your story flows and is free of errors? These are qualities of a professional. We think you see where we are going with this.

    Good luck and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you, you are really kind. LM x

    ReplyDelete