Monday, 22 April 2013

Exchange on a Bridge


This story is written as a response to a prompt from Write on the Edge which is a writing community who set a prompt every week to encourage people to put finger to keyboard and engage in their imagination.  I thought I would have a go, as I need an encouragement to keep writing.  Here is the prompt and the story that followed.  I hope you enjoy it.


pinhole 970, bridge © Darius Kuzmickas via Flickr
Steve Adderson, call centre worker and now dealer with the Faerie Realm stepped nervously onto the bridge.  It was the same concrete bridge it had always been, however now there was a tall man in a motorcycle helmet standing next to his dark motorbike in the centre of the bridge.
The motorcycle rider removed his helmet.  "Are you Mr Steve Adderson?" He asked. 
Steve swallowed nervously.  What had possessed him to deal with someone who described themselves as elfen?  "I'm Steve Adderson." He said, his voice almost breaking with fear.  "Are you Lord Marius?"
"I am indeed." There was a hint of impatience. "Have you brought it with you?"
Steve swallowed again.  "Yes, I have."
"And payment has cleared in your account?" Lord Marius asked.
"No  offence, but when I was first contacted I read up a bit and they mentioned fairy gold..." Steve took a deep breath.  Lord Marius was a lot taller than him, and he had a dangerous edge that went beyond the trappings of a biker.
"As a kindness, and hoping for a speedy transaction, I will share some small information." Lord Marius leant casually against the railings of the bridge.  "If you are dealing with the elfen, never take food, or drink or cash.  Cheques are usually safe enough, though nothing in any path is guaranteed.  And this treasure that you bring me, which has been bartered hard for, well, that is an illustration of elfen foolishness.  You were contacted by Lord Cerdig." Lord Marius sighed.  "He does not see a great deal of the sunlight realm.  He ventures here rarely and his influence is waning, particularly amongst the younger members of his court.  He seeks to bolster his position so he finds something that his more powerful neighbouring prince covets to buy aid and support." Lord Marius shrugged.  "However this neighbour is in the grip of a strange obsession.  It is a curse of our kind.  He is quite desperate for treasure such as you carry, no matter how odd it seems to others, he pines for it.  So Lord Cerdig offered highly for it, lest another find it first and win it from you."
"I was a bit surprised." Steve said.
"Your treasure has some value in your world, but it is not the same value as that to a desperate elfen prince, buying the heart's desire of a much needed ally." Lord Marius sighed.  "Please give it to me."
Steve hesitantly handed it over.  Lord Marius took out the object, examined it with careful fingers and then finally nodded. 
"It is exactly as described." Lord Marius said.  "Here is a bonus from Lord Cerdig, all the papers are in order."
Steve's reflexes caught the car keys that Lord Marius threw at him.  The very new BMW car keys.  And then he watched Lord Marius ride off into the mist carrying with him a package that would cost, at the best valuation, one fiftieth of the price of the second hand BMW he had been looking at longingly in the local showroom.  And some elfen was now the owner of a 1936 Rupert Bear Annual, mint condition.  He held up the keys to the growing light.  What was the car equivalent of fairy gold? 

24 comments:

  1. Wonderful story - drew me into the setting right from the start. Dealing with fairies is never straightforward! I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and thank you for all the support you have given me! LM xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the story idea and the nice twist at the end. Would you like editorial comments here on sent to an email address?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for commenting. I would appreciate editorial comments, and I will pass on an email address via one of your lovely blogs! However if I post in public I think I should answer in public, so I am happy to have editorials on here, whichever suits you as you are kind enough to share your time with me. LM x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah - I have replied to your Headology Inc email (and love the title!) LM x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing story. I have not ventured much into faery realm in my short time with writing challenges, but liked this a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, I am really glad you liked it. I'm writing a lot about faerie at the moment, so it was, I suppose, a bit of an easy option for my first attempt at a writing challenge. I do understand about treating it with caution though. Thank you for commenting. LM xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the stories of faerie. I particularly liked Lord Marius' description. An elven Lord as biker was wonderful! Looking forward to more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee - thank you for your kind comment. If you like Lord Marius he is in 'At the Sign of the White Hart' under pages on the rh side bar. I've got him lined up for a few things. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you - I am glad you enjoyed it LM x

      Delete
  11. "If you are dealing with the elfen, never take food, or drink or cash."

    Love that!

    This story pulled me in too, with it's rich and delightful details! Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you like it. It's part of an ongoing setting and you can read more of Lord Marius among others in 'At the Sign of the White Hart' which is on the side bar. Thank you so much for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  12. This is very interesting. I like this little tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad you like it, it was a fun challenge and the first one I tried from Writing on the Edge. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  13. A faery lord in lean biker gear. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed. Lord Marius is always fun to write. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  14. Do not ever stop writing--you're very good at it! I liked the fog applying not only to the physical aspects of the world, but also to the dealings with the Fae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your supportive comment. I am thinking of printing it out and framing it! If you like this then check out the rh side bar 'At the Sign of the White Hart Pt1' which I hope you will enjoy. There are more Fae in there.

      Thank you again, it is very kind of you to give such positive comments. LM x

      Delete
  15. Interesting story! I'm not very familiar with faery stories, but the dialogue between these two characters, as well your excellent descriptions pulled me right into the story. It was also a good take on the prompt.

    Thanks for sharing your story:`)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your really kind comments. I am building a world background with my own version of the faery and I am having a wonderful time playing with the ideas. I am really glad you enjoyed it. If you like please feel free to dip into 'At the Sign of the White Hart Pt1' on the rh sidebar as I have had a lot of fun there as well. Thank you again for your comment. LM x

      Delete
  16. Nicely done. It was gripping. Right from the beginning, we were wondering just what could be so valuable that it had to be paid for in advance... and transacted for on a bridge... and worth as much as a luxury vehicle... and purchased by an elf lord, no less.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really glad you like it. Follow up on it's way so watch this space - and have you seen 'At the Sign of the White Hart' on the sidebar? I've been having a lot of fun. LM x

    ReplyDelete