Wednesday, 22 May 2013

An Old Elfen


This story is written as a response to a prompt from Write on the Edge and Trifecta which are writing communities who set a prompt every week to encourage people to put finger to keyboard and engage in their imagination.  I thought I would have a go, as I need an encouragement to keep writing.  Here is the prompt and the story that followed.  I hope you enjoy it.

"...of course the word 'petrichor' means the song of the stone.  I think that is a word that is underused in these times.  So much of the language of Shakespeare has been lost.  Mind you, I only met him when he was drunk..."
Elaine and Steve exchanged glances.  As the elfen lord carried on with his pedantic monologue Steve whispered, 'He's got it wrong, you know.  It means 'blood of the stone'.  I looked it up once.  It's all the same with the older elfen.  They get odder with age.  The trouble is that as the elfen get older they get more and more powerful.   They get better at controlling weather and seem to know more magic.  I'm just grateful that they get a bit more caught up in the old stories."
Elaine looked around the room.  It had radiators but no central heating.  There was a television in one corner but it was surrounded by what looked like a lattice of hawthorn twigs.  What looked like a silk cloth was neatly folded over the top of the television.  Over the fireplace was an empty frame where a mirror would normally hang and the wallpaper, while new, was a pattern that hadn't been current for fifty years or more.  "So that's why we couldn't bring in anything made of iron."
Steve nodded.  "And why we have some clothes inside out.  It's a sort of protection."
"...of course nowadays the language changes so quickly.  That is why I watch my television, through a scry glass of course, and I am quite concerned about some of the things I see.  I noticed a programme on Tinkerbell, for one serious example..."
As the old elfen droned on, Elaine looked with concern at Steve.  "But he wants us to buy what without iron!?"

16 comments:

  1. Well I have never been in the company of elves that I know. Obviously I haven't missed much. Enjoyed your tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed the tale - the elfen just watch the soaps, you haven't missed a lot at all. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lyssa, those elders, elfen or otherwise...I commend Elaine and Steve for being so patient with him. This reminds me of my grandma, who thought Roosevelt was president-back in the mid 80's:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I've heard it described as someone's anecdotage. LM x

      Delete
  4. I like the little details that helped bring the room into focus: the new but outdated wallpaper, the hawthorn twigs in front of the TV, the radiators, etc. Now I'm curious what they are supposed to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I haven't quite decided what it is yet but it may become clear after the next prompt. LM x

      Delete
  5. I love the description... I only met him when he was drunk.. that is good! Great details of the room. I like the clothes inside out for protection. Great scene. I wish there was more..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for commenting. I was going back to the old folklore of turning your coat inside out to stop yourself being pixie-led. I'm glad you like it. LM x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant to see Steve and Elaine again and to see how their stories are developing - the old Elfen is perfect in his quirkiness. I also adore the detail of wearing clothes inside out when dealing with the faerie - very authentic. And watching TV through a scrying glass could only improve things I'm sure. Wonderful stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the detail - shades of the seas of blood the faerie are associated with. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  8. I find his oddness amusing. Of course, elves can be tricky too so maybe it's an act... (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. With elfen you can never be too careful! LM x

      Delete
  9. I like his interior design. Such a whimsical piece. Great job with the prompt.

    Thank you for linking up! Please don't forget to come back to vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I am glad you like the detail, it was a lot of fun. Thank you for a great prompt. LM x

      Delete
  10. I'm concerned about the Tinkerbell program, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something deeply disturbing going on, I am sure... lol. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete