Thursday, 2 May 2013

When one Door Closes...

This story is written as a response to a prompt from Write on the Edge and Trifecta which are writing communities who set a prompt every week to encourage people to put finger to keyboard and engage in their imagination.  I thought I would have a go, as I need an encouragement to keep writing.  Here is the prompt and the story that followed.  I hope you enjoy it.

Door 3: a means of access or participation : opportunity <opens new doors> <door to success>



"It's just different ways of working, that's all."
Steven Adderson looked at the man from Headquarters and wondered why he was faking polite interest.  "Really?" he said.
"Did you know that once society ladies had maids who had to dress them?  Look at this."
Steve looked at the fake advert for automated closets.  "Hmm."
"So it isn't that you've been replaced by new machines, just by a different way of working, just like them.  We have to let you go.  It's nothing personal."
The plastic phrase was the final straw.  "Thanks for this chat." Steve stood and held out his hand.  "I appreciate your time."  Five minutes later he was in the car park next to his BMW and wondering what he was going to do now.
Steve looked down at the his key fob.  He loved this car, but how long would an unemployed man be allowed to keep a three week old prestige car?  He had only had it two of those weeks but he loved it with a passion.  A motorbike drove up behind him.  Steve turned round automatically and then froze as the biker took off his helmet.
"Steven Adderson, call centre worker, do you remember me?"
Steve nodded carefully.  "I remember you, Lord Marius.  You are one of the..." Steve searched for the right words. 
"I am one of the elfen, or faerie if you must, and you provided a coveted gift for Lord Cerdig."  Lord Marius put down his helmet and pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket.  "News of your sale has travelled.  I have further requests from a number of powerful elfen Lords.  Lord Lothar requires a new variety of tea.  Lord Karum has requested that you find some wedgewood china.  Lord Laurentius has asked about your knowledge of mobile phones..."
As Lord Marius read the growing list Steve could feel his smile growing.  What was it they said?  As one door shuts another one opens.  It was time for a career change.  

26 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great job. Do they take applications ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I'd love to be a personal shopper to the faerie. LM x

      Delete
  2. This is great! Love the way it twisted at the end -- and in his favour no less! My favourite part is when Lord Marius address him as "Steven Adderson, call centre worker" -- brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I really love playing with the faerie, I've had huge fun. btw if you like it, check out 'At the Sign of the White Hart Pt 1' on the sidebar, as it also has Lord Marius in. LM x (also slightly embarrassed to admit that there is a prequel to this further down the blog called 'Exchange on a Bridge')

      Delete
  3. Fun mix of fantasy and reality. Though from what I've read of the fae, I wonder if this will turn out to be the upward move Steve appears to think...

    -Rebekah Postupak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I try and show elfen as psychopathic lunatics that would slit your throat to see if your blood is the same colour as all the others, but are currently forced to behave. I've modelled them on cats lol. Lord Marius shows up elsewhere on the blog if you are interested LM x

      Delete
  4. Shopping with other people's money is either heaven or a special kind of hell ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I think Steve may end up wondering. I can shop regardless. LM x

      Delete
  5. Modern faeries. Now I've seen everything (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I have had a lot of fun playing with elfen, but I can't quite see them as Tinkerbell... LM x

      Delete
  6. Ooh, if only a career change would find us like that! That would be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I also would love a career change to turn up that involved shopping. I suppose I am not writing what I know but writing what I would like to know lol. LM x

      Delete
  7. Marvellous work again - great to see Lord Marius as always. I think Steve is in for an interesting new life. The list of bizarre items required was utterly perfect

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, your comments mean a lot to me. LM x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a good read-loved the way it went from a hopeless turn of events to despair & then right up there with such a sweetly surprising take!Loved it!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, I'm glad you like it. LM x

      Delete
  10. Yes! A new career opportunity, which can go in many directions. I love this very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I am having a lot of fun imagining the different ways it could go. LM x

      Delete
  11. I'm glad I'm not the only one with mobile phone questions!

    I love this piece! It's very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have issues with mobile phones - I usually look helpless and ask my husband lol. I'm glad you like it, I had a great time writing it. LM x

      Delete
  12. I loved the magical ending. The reflection of the recent luxury car purchase was poignant. It does seem when you lose a job or have a huge setbeck, it is not unusual to have made an optimistic purchase. Lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I confess - the bmw is referred to in a previous piece further back in the blog. I just couldn't resist re-using the character. You are so right though, as soon as a 'big treat' is paid for then an awful and unexpected bill drops on the mat. I am glad you liked it. LM x

      Delete
  13. Great piece. I love how you turned something ordinary into something magical. Stopped by from Write on Edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I'm glad you liked it. If you like Lord Marius then check out the story on my sidebar. LM x

      Delete
  14. Looks like Steven is now a gopher, as in "go for" coffee or "go for" some cigarettes. Usually, this is a chore assigned to the lowest associate in a firm. But given Steven's mystical (and very rich) clients, his new job may not be as bad as it seemed at first blush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Steven's new employment has a lot of potential. I intend to have a lot of fun with it. Thank you for commenting LM x

      Delete