Monday, 3 February 2014

Just a Point

Once again I am taking the Trifecta Challenge to write between 33 and 333 words on the prompt '3: to change by artful or unfair means so as to serve one's purpose : to doctor'

Kent waved the letter at his wife.  "It's the valuation." He ripped it open.   Rupert watched carefully.
"You can't be thinking of selling it." Alison said.  "It's been in your family for generations."  Her voice dropped to a whisper.  "And you know painting is haunted.  Look what happened last time it was sent for cleaning."  Rupert nodded.  At least someone else was paying attention.
"Those sort of accidents are normal for a house of this age." Kent looked uneasily over his shoulder.  "And we have to face reality.  We are in a Grade I listed English Stately Home with a leaking roof.  We can't just get any old tiles from the local builder's yard and get the cheapest quote plus scaffolding.  Did you see how much the only firm I could track down wanted?  We need the money."
"Do you want to sell it?" Alison asked as Kent pulled the letter out of it's rich, cream envelope.
Kent shrugged.  "No, I don't.  It's part of the place, I was fascinated by the old man in the picture as a child.  But sentiment won't patch the roof."  He absently straightened out the letter.  "I wish we didn't have to."  He straightened his shoulders.  "And if I'm not getting a good enough offer, I'm keeping it.  There are grants, after all."
Jenkins stuck his head round the door.  "It's Soames about his business proposition.  He's in the study, sir."


Rupert waited until Kent and Alison had left the room and inspected the letter.  He concentrated.  Kent would certainly sell for £350,000 but while the figure was flattering, he could not let the portrait go.  It took some work to manipulate it but by the time Kent got back the offer was £35,000, take it or leave it.  The old ghost knew that Kent would never settle for that.  The portrait would be safe for now.  Rupert tapped his ghostly finger on the polished mantle.  Now how could he help with this business idea?  

23 comments:

  1. Hmmm...it has the haunting of The Picture of Dorian Grey. I liked this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of that! I am glad you liked it. Thank you for commenting LM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha.. a ghost within a picture.. hope Rupert can help with a business idea for Kent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I can't help but wonder what Rupert could suggest. There are times when I really love writing. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  4. Now I'm going to have to read Picture of Dorian Grey (shame). Neat piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly imagined a ghost attached to the house sulking and throwing a toddler tantrum when his picture went missing. However the idea of a ghost attached to a picture... (also off to read Dorian Grey). I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry if this is wrong, but I really ended up liking this ghost - nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I sort of like him too. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  6. This ghost knows the true value of things. I bet he comes up with an ingenious way to fix that leaky roof! Fun story, Lyssa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I had a lot of fun writing it. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  7. This is a fun read. Hope the ghost comes to the rescue, sounds like a brilliant place to live! Don't forget to come back and vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting, I am very flattered. I'm really glad you liked it. LM x

      Delete
  8. This was fun. A ghostly tale. I love it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I had a lot of fun writing it. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  9. I love that the ghost attached to the picture is both uninterested in having it leave the house and interested in helping the family find the money to keep the house repaired. Good guy ghost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think he was a good guy! I'm glad you liked it, thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  10. Ha!ha!A mischievous ghost who does not want to the painting to be sold!Unique take on the prompt and a very enjoyable read:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you liked it. I think the ghost could have a lot of fun, if he decided to get involved. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  11. I love a good ghost story with a touch of humor. :) Awesome dialogue--very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I can imagine Rupert could lend himself to a lot of humour. LM x

      Delete
    2. And thank you for commenting LM x

      Delete
  12. Ha! Love it! What a clever ghostly friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you liked it. I think having Rupert involved could be a mixed blessing. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete