Wednesday, 12 March 2014

There's nothing you can do. You own me.

Another wonderful prompt from Write on Edge.  This week it used the quote 'You could've made a safer bet, but what you break is what you get, you wake up in the bed you make.  I think you made a big mistake.'  It's hard to do that justice in just 500 words!

Elaine sat down carefully at the kitchen table.  "I can't wait to hear your explaination."
Steve shifted uncomfortably.  "Well, I have been dealing with the elfen."
"And werewolves, and goblins, and that nice Mr Beddoes is a vampire." Elaine pointed out.
"It is dangerous to deal with the faerie." Steve rolled up his crisp shirt sleeve.  "You can still see the bite marks from when I got chased by Yell Hounds.  These are real scars."
"Yes, real scars that you got in the land of Faerie." Elaine waited patiently.
"So I followed some instructions from an old book." Steve glanced at the kettle.  "Should I make us a coffee?"
"Not yet." Elaine remained calm.  "Where did you get the book?"
"It was part of the job lot from the house I cleared.  You know, where the vampire had been staked.  I sorted stuff out for the local lord."
"I remember." There was ice in Elaine's voice.  "That's where the rug with the strange smell came from."
"Anyway," Steve desperately tried to get back on track.  "I found the cave that it described, and all the strange jars.  I should have paid more attention to the verse carved on the shelf." He pushed a copy of it over to Elaine.
"'You could've made a safer bet, but what you break is what you get, you wake up in the bed you make.  I think you made a big mistake.' Nice rhyme.  What does it mean?"
"It means that I get whatever is in the one jar I am allowed to break.  I can't break a second, and I can't change what I get.  It's a permanent deal.  I was heading straight for the one with the golden flower on, right in the centre.  Suddenly Lord Marius appeared.  That was a bad sign."
"Lord Marius has been reasonable in the past." Elaine wasn't going to allow Steve to get away with blaming Lord Marius.  "And he was certainly not responsible for you being there in the first place.  That's all your own work."
Steve looked hunted.  "If he hadn't turned up so suddenly I wouldn't have jumped and knocked over the one at the corner.  And if I hadn't knocked that one over it wouldn't have broken and I wouldn't be stuck with that!"
The imp sitting in the middle of the table looked at Elaine balefully.  It's bulging muddy green eyes were unblinking as it scratched at the seat of it's dirty jeans and spat on the kitchen floor.  Then it dragged out a miniature tin and rolled a cigarette.
"No smoking in this house!" Elaine snapped.

With studied insolence the imp lit the cigarette with a magical spark and took a long drag.  As it coughed smoke oozed not only out of its pared nostrils but off the tips of its pointed ears and the ends of the batlike wings poking through its dirty t-shirt.  It spat on the floor again.  "Make us a cup of tea, will yer."

Earlier installments of Steve Adderson's story can be found here  I'm starting to turn them into a novel which I will be self publishing later.  I am looking forward to finding out how it ends.  

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Hopefully the imp ends up with a redeeming characteristic or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That imp is going to be a complete nuisance - much more fun to write! Poor Steve! Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  2. Magnificently written fun - I love that imp (from a safe distance you understand) - and suspect it will be an interesting house guest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that imp, although I think he's going to be a terrible house guest.

    your descriptions were wonderful, magical and so rich they had me reading this twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad you liked it. I think that the imp is going to be a lot of fun to write, though perhaps no so much fun to live with! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Ack!What an uncouth,ugly and ill -mannered imp!Poor Steve -now he is in real trouble-enjoyed this continuation immensely-hope to be reading more soon Lyssa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it - or perhaps that's the wrong word with the imp. He is utterly revolting. I have horrible things planned for Steve - which will hopefully make good reading. Thank you for commenting LM x

      Delete
  5. Haha the imp sounds like a hilarious character- only from afar though! Can't imagine he'd be very pleasant company, poor Steve!
    -Tinkerbelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really planning to enjoy the imp. Poor Steve, he is not a happy lad! Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  6. Poor Elaine. That is all. But how fun will the imp be to write? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Elaine has a lot to put up with. And she is still tangled with the whole will she/won't she marry Steve! I am having so much fun. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete