Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Research and the Author - What's in a Name

 Let’s talk about researching names for characters in contemporary fiction. I’m never going to be brilliant at naming characters. I have no problem imagining the way that that a character moves, the way that they tilt their head when talking, and even their food and drink preferences, but if I’m not careful, they’d all end up called John or Jane Smith. Or I’d subconsciously name them after a player on a soccer team, or a character in a soap that I don’t watch but that I’ve heard about, and then I’d feel ridiculous. What is more, if I unintentionally pick a name of someone in the public eye and make them a devious and unpleasant villain, it could be seen as hurtful or even directed, and who wants to accidentally get involved with that?

I created this image using Canva without the help of AI and I'm a little surprised that it turned out this well.

I am a research junkie, and until they come up with a 12-step programme to get me away from it, I’ll always turn to research when I’m faced with a conundrum like names. And, for me, a carefully chosen name can have a significant impact on the initial description of a character. In fact, if it’s just a side character that will appear briefly, the name can do most of the work. After all, stereotypes are useful if you’re careful and deliberate with your writing. If you name a character Antonio Rossi, the reader immediately gets a certain amount of background, just as they would for a character called Hamish McDonald or Bjorn Gundersen. Any name has put a stamp on the character, and the reader will have certain expectations. You may as well make use of them.

If you’re writing a short story, doing research for names can be something of an overkill, but, as I mentioned, a name is part of defining a character. You perhaps just need the first name, so you don’t need to worry too much about getting confused with a character in a film or a person in the public eye. You don’t have to look up James to know that it’s a fairly popular and timeless name, and can be tailored to your character as James, Jimmy, Jim, Jimbo, Jamie, etc. The same goes for names like John, Mary, Jane, Elizabeth, or Peter. Those names settle nicely in most English speaking countries without much trouble. They are a little bland, though, so you may want to change it up.

Other names are very much of their time. In my part of the world, the names Sharon, Kevin, Tracy, or even Darren are mainly common in those born in the 1960s. If you want to show age, a name is one way of doing it if you choose carefully. You can have a quick internet search for something like ‘popular baby names of 1990’ and take your pick of something that sounds good and that would potentially fit the character.

A very famous Jane
Photo by Paolo Chiabrando on Unsplash

Another way of finding a first name is to look at sources for the meaning of popular names. It can help support your vision of your character if you choose a name that fits in with their personality. For example, Richard means Brave Ruler, Arthur is linked to Bear, and Ciaran means Little Dark One. I haven’t checked those meanings, by the way. I found them on a site called Honey Name which I bookmarked and intend to use shamelessly.

I find surnames far harder to choose. First names are undefined and could be anyone, but full names are different. There are so many names out there on the internet that it’s unnervingly possible to pick a name of someone that’s at least well-known by some readers. I’m clueless when it comes to reality shows, and I don’t watch many soaps or films, so a name that sounds perfect could actually belong to someone real. If you think of a name and it sounds perfect, for heaven’s sake do an internet search on the full name plus possible nicknames. The point of research is to stop the author looking like an idiot.

It could be a name that is genuinely unknown to the author, but crazily famous elsewhere. For example, I’m British and I’ve not had much access to American football. I’ve heard of the Superbowl, and I’ve heard of quarterbacks, but I had to check the internet for who was the quarterback in the 2026 Superbowl winning team to know that it was Sam Darnold. It would be unnervingly easy for me to call a character Sam Arnold, or Sammy Darnold, or similar without realising, and for those who read my work and also watch the Superbowl, it could cause confusion. In fact, depending on how many readers I got and how awful the character was, I could get some uncomfortable comments on the internet.

Finding a surname is tricky. I know that when the first writers of the long-running British soap Coronation Street were starting to put the idea together, they went to a local cemetery and looked at names on gravestones. That could be a fun day out in the right circumstances, but if you’re deep into a writing marathon, then you’ll want to forge ahead. As my stories are primarily set in England, I’m happy to use English place names as a last name. I can look on an internet map for obscure districts and then add a first name. A quick internet check will tell me if the name belongs to someone famous, or at least potentially known, and I have a name. The hero in my book Out of the London Mist, John Farnley, got his last name from a district in my home city of Leeds.

'Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland'
https://maps.nls.uk/
which shows a map including Farnley from the nineteenth century

You can pick up surnames from obscure sports teams, trade directories, newspaper stories – all sorts of places. The important thing is to not use the name as a whole.You don’t want to try and take the identity of a name in the paper. The idea of research is to make your life easier, not to get into trouble. Let’s look at a sports team as a source. Yorkshire County Cricket Club had a player called John Thewlis who scored the first century, or one hundred runs, in County Cricket for Yorkshire in 1869. Thewlis sounds like a good surname, and according to Honey Name, Brenna means Little Raven which I thought sounded intriguing, so I now have a potential character called Brenna Thewlis. It’s not a bad sounding name and I didn’t find anything for that when I did an internet search. There are a few traces of Brenda Thewlis and Brendan Thewlis but I should be safe with Brenna, and I think that she sounds cute.

If you are writing a novel, particularly if it’s part of a series, getting the right name is important enough to take a little time. I absolutely think that it’s worth spending time on research. If you’re in the middle of a sprint or marathon, or if you’re on a deadline, and you don’t have time, being able to pick names from lists is easier if you have a couple of sites bookmarked from your research into names. Research is supposed to make life easier for the author so don’t overthink things, get a name that supports your character, then send the hapless hero or heroine out into your amazing story, and have fun doing it!

There is a page with links to all the Research and the Author posts here and I hope that you feel happy to dip in.

No comments:

Post a Comment