
Just a quick update after last week’s post about my plans here. I was diving in over my head with a crazy plan to transfer over just shy of 600 posts from Wordpress to Blogger. What was worse, I wasn’t planning on automating it. Instead I thought that I could have a little look through, perhaps correct some links, and generally tidy up.
Of course, I couldn’t stop there, not when I hadn’t fully used up this month’s idiot supply. I’d unposted all the non-spooky stuff that I’d previously had on Wordpress, because my brand, such as it is, has an oversupply of the supernatural. I have Kane’s ghost stories, the frankly over-supernatural stuff at the White Hart and all the good stuff in stories like Invitation Accepted. The few bits of ‘normal’ world writing seemed adrift and out of place, so I took them off the blog. But then I read through the drafts of some of them as I was preparing to transfer them over, and I kind of liked them.

Rather than lose the stories, running to just shy of 22k words spaced over 39 stories, I created another Blogger account, Mari’s Fireside. I’ve hopefully got all of the stories over to that blog, and while some are distinctly average, and some I decided should never see the light of day again, there are a few that give me a sense of pride. I hope that you feel able to dip into them. If I ever expand any of them to a better length and tidy them up enough, they could end up on Amazon under the name Mari Medana. I’ll be clear that it’s the same person, but one is spooky and one is non-spooky and that way everyone knows what to expect.
I have given myself eye strain, but now all the little stories are over either on Always Another Chapter Blogger version or on Mari’s Fireside. I now need to go through and check that everything is either saved to the laptop, PC, or cloud, and that it’s either waiting to have things done to it, on Blogger Always Another Chapter, or on Mari’s Fireside. I’ve already secured all of Kane’s stuff, though of course I’ll be double checking, all of The Guest and today I got Invitation Accepted copied onto the PC.

And while I’ve been typing this, I can’t help but wonder whether the Research and the Author posts that I’ve copied over perhaps should have their own blog, as they seem to be multiplying nicely and I’ve got plans to write a non-fiction book containing them at some point. It will only happen if I think that it will be a useful contribution but if that book happens then it could do with a blog to support it. Dammit. Anyway, here is the page giving links to all the Research and the Author articles that have made it over to the Blogger Always Another Chapter, only fourteen at the moment but watch this space.
The next stage, apart from a possible fourth Blogger blog, is to go though each post on Wordpress and check that it has a home elsewhere. I managed to automate that, fight my way through an Excel sheet (I loathe Excel with the fire of a thousand suns), onto a Word table, and I have now got 33 pages of entries to go through individually, double check, then allocate to somewhere, whether it’s the PC, the laptop, one of the Blogger blogs, or even the discard pile as some things really aren’t worth keeping. I’ll post on here when I’ve finally finished, whenever that is!
If you have any questions, would like to tactfully comment on my lack of sanity, or have any views, please let me know. I always love to hear from people.
And please wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment